Sunday, May 13, 2012

Thinking… On Mother’s Day!

Today is Mother's Day.

 

I hate the sense of entitlement that gives me!  I know I will be fighting it all day.

 

So far this morning is no different than any other day.  I am up with the three youngest.  I have made my own breakfast and coffee.  I have made breakfast for Matty (no one else was interested yet).  I have helped with the TV, DVD player and computers.

 

I am tired and pregnant with another baby.  I would have loved for my husband to get up with the little ones.  I would have loved to stay in bed and been treated like royalty.  You'd think that after 11 years of this, I'd get it.  I'd get that it's not going to happen.  I'd get that my husband just doesn't do that kind of thing and the kids don't really either.

 

We had such a beautiful day yesterday and today should be no different.  But I worry that my entitlement will ruin a good family day!  I am starting not to like these holidays that focus on the individual - Mother's Day, Father's Day, birthdays, Christmas.  I'd way sooner be focused on God and what He's done and is doing.  He's doing great things in my family!

 

Now don’t get me wrong.  I think it’s important to thank our mothers for the work they did to raise us.  I think it is nice and important for me to be recognized for the work that I do in our family.  I do a lot, but it’s MY JOB!  It’s what I’m supposed to do.  It’s what I signed up for when I got married and started having children.

 

So today, as I struggle with a feeling of entitlement (that’s to prevalent in our society today), I will attempt to enjoy a day of family time – playing and working outside, resting and playing inside.  Today I will enjoy my children as I do every other day.  I will enjoy my husband’s day off.  I will thank God that He saw fit to entrust me with the lives of these little children.

 

post signature

4 comments:

Rick Gordanier said...

Happy Mothers day,,, LaDonna

janzi said...

How clearly I remember that bone weariness that cloaked all that I did, getting up to see to children and not having any time to myself.. you do get through it, but it is hard and a lonely place especially if you are pregnant agai! You have been so strong with all that is happening and has happened, so I am sure that you will reap the benefits soon... Here's hoping that M Day was a good one for you despite all the work and that you had time just for a little bit to focus on yourself and rest. You are strong, this will pass, and your kids will all love you and respect what you did forever, if mine are anything to go by... My five all keep in touch and love me and amongst themselves... so love is hard, but it is strong too, Hugs from across the pond.. J

Unknown said...

I understand completely. Peace and love. You are doing great things with your crew.

The Leader Of This Crazy Clan said...

LOL totally relate!!