Sunday, May 3, 2009

Thinking On Scripture

The speaker today, not our pastor but a member from our church, spoke from the book of Job. Mr. K talked about our circumstances. His question that he first posed was something like, "Are you a victim of your circumstances or do you believe and trust that God is in control?" Job had extreme circumstances and yet he praised the name of God. Read Job 1 for the extreme loss Job experienced just prior to saying, "Naked came I out of my mother's womb, and naked shall I return thither: the LORD gave, and the LORD hath taken away; blessed be the name of the LORD." (Job 1:21)

I am not that caliber of person. If my plans for supper get messed up or Baby R wakes early from a nap, then my day is terrible. I am cranky and miserable. I'm not very fun to live with when I let my circumstances dictate my mood and actions. I am a victim of my circumstances.

This message was what we needed to hear today. Here we are in the middle of a relatively yucky situation and we've resolved to live with, embrace and try to enjoy it. But had we decided to totally trust that God knows better than we do? I don't know. If we did, it was a faltering decision that changed again as the circumstance changed / worsened (or seemed to worsen).

Our view is so limited. We don't see the big picture. We don't see what God sees. What follows is the video clip (about 10 min) that Mr. K showed during the service today. So true.


God's better is better. Learning to believe that.

post signature

No comments: