From About.com
I, (name), take you (name), to be my (wife/husband), to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part.
The above, or something very very similar, were the vows that DH and I said on our wedding day. I have been thinking about them so much lately. (Not sure why, but I have been. Just bein' honest here.) I've been wondering if many even know what these words mean. Do we know what we are committing to? Do I fulfill these vows on a day to day basis? Here's another question: What is the history of weddings, vows and marriage? Oh, Boy! I think I've opened a can of something for myself! Questions questions questions! I'm so thankful for the internet to find the answers. I don't know how I got through my years of formal education without! But I digress.
At first I was going to go through and define each phrase / word, but that seemed extremely redundant and juvenile. Then I decided to look at the whole paragraph. At first I missed the qualifier; richer or poorer than what? I asked. Then I saw it - from this day forward.
I am feeling that this post is a little disjointed. Bear with me as I think through and formulate and question. I'll have more on this another time. Please comment with your thoughts. What do these vows mean to you?Some links:
http://justus.anglican.org/resources/bcp/1559/Marriage_1559.htm
http://teachmetonight.blogspot.com/2008/09/o-promise-me-marriage-vows-through.html
3 comments:
I think it is good to ponder on these things.Some times when we are young, and in love we do not take seriously enough the covenant vows which we are taking. I too have been thinking alot on this theme this week, because of a very sad family break up.
http://mummasplace.blogspot.com/2009/05/old-time-values-in-modern-world.html
When we are young and foolish we do not truly realize the depth of meaning that these words entail. It is only as we grow and mature some that we get hit with "What have I done!"
It is at that point that we make the decision that at times love is a choice. All marriages have ups and downs and it is in working through the downs that you realize what make the ups oh so worth it.
So true. I think every couple needs to reflect on their wedding vows, and often, too.
Tag! You're it!
Post a Comment