Saturday, April 21, 2012

Getting an Education = Experience

 

My school age girls got a really neat experience this last week.  They had the opportunity to attend a week long Musical Theatre Workshop.  For 5 hours a day, Monday to Friday they worked with a young lady from British Columbia to put together a mini-production of a full length theatre production.

 

k c m musical theatre b 04 2012

They were tired at the end!

 

How she runs her program is something like this:  on the first day she gets to know the kids / group.  She has a couple of plays in mind before hand and depending on the age and enthusiasm and dynamic of the group she chooses which drama they will perform.  She assigns parts and they learn them, the songs, the choreography, etc.  She does vocal exercises and team building “games” and movement / acting games.  She really pulls the group together and gets them working as a team.

 

This group, by my estimate, was mostly under the age of ten.  I think only four of them were older than Kristyn.  And the youngest was 5 or 6.  There were 13 students, mostly girls.  I wish I could post a picture of the whole group, but without the consent of the other parents I don’t feel comfortable doing so.

 

My girls have been involved in choir and both Kristyn and Cora had an opportunity there to do a duet / solo that involved a little acting.  They did well then (two years ago), but I was AMAZED at how far they’d come after a week of intense training and working.  And my shy little Marrissa spoke her lines so clearly!  Kristyn had a fairly large part in this production and hardly faltered on a line.  Of course, like most people I know, they picked apart their production saying I messed up here and she messed up there and we forgot this part or that.

 

k c m musical theatre 04 2012

The make-up and the back-combed hair

were the highlight of the afternoon!

 

Striving to learn and live God's purposes,
post signature

No comments: