Friday, May 1, 2009

Our van :-( and a couple other thoughts

Remember this post about our new-to-us van and the "dead" suburban?? Well, the "dead" suburban only needed an alternator or something simple and cheap. It is up and running again.

However . . .

My van is not. We knew when we got it that the motor was not running right; it was missing a cylinder or something like that. Then the other day while rushing home (J needed to drop us off before heading to a house fire.) the transmission started to act up. We were lucky to make it home. So J took it to the shop to have an analysis and quote done. Well, the analysis was SHOCKING. (I don't know details, except that it was miss firing like crazy!) and the quote devastating.

We "paid" 1500 for the van. And the quote - - - 7500!!!!!! Needless to say, we can get a vehicle that runs well and looks good, for that somewhere else. We are not going to put a new tranny and a new motor in this old van for 7500!! We'll move on to something else.

If you could pray that we find something soon. But the catch is that we don't wanna go into debt to do it. Kinda need a miracle. lol. Like when we were given the suburban.

So glad that God knows what he's doing. Maybe we just need to get fit so we have to walk everywhere, but . . . .you know what I mean. I feel very home bound at times without a vehicle. Maybe that's where I need to be right now. I don't know. Lots of maybes. I want some "for-sures". So what do I know for sure:

1. I have no vehicle for my whole family.
2. I have one vehicle for dh to get to any work he may find.
3. It is spring; not winter. So it could be worse.
4. DH has given our life and our situation to God. So He's in control and guiding our path. DH says, "If we end up in the ditch, it's Him that did it, so He must have a plan."
5. We are healthy; we have food. We are loved by those around us.
6. Our basics and a little extra are being met.

So, I have no reason to be depressed. And yet there is something lingering, causing things to be a little fuzzy and a little sad. Kinda feeling like I'm just barely treading water. I need to boat to get here soon with the rescue pole.

Recognizing that is the first step. I can do it!


Striving to learn and live God's purposes,

post signature

8 comments:

Madge said...

How I wish I had some profound words for you. But I have none. I'm thankful that you and your dh have faith in the ONE who is in control of all.

Lori-Dawn said...

Hey Lady,
I'm right there with ya...except I'm freaking out about rent bouncing...sigh...we're doing well in most areas but right now between lack of sleep with a crying baby who doesn't want to be put down during the day..AT ALL, and the stresses of being incredibly behind in bills and no money to pay new bills...I need the rescue boat too!

Brazen Hussey's said...

Well, I'm right there with you. In December our van that we converted from a 7 seater to an 8 seater broke down and it costs more than it is worth to fix. I had grown used to not having a car during the day. Just last week, our other van that is 7 passenger and required our son to sit in the back, cracked a head gasket. Again, costs more to fix than it is worth. We are in a position where we cannot afford a payment. SO, we are praying and our deacons are involved. But, it is a scary thing. My husband eyes are on Christ and he is really peaceful. I struggle more with trusting in God's provision. We just found out today that we are expecting #7. So, I was thinking maybe we could pray for each other since we are in similar situations. Sorry for the novel!

~Tasha

Anonymous said...

I hope everything works out for you guys. I'm glad you're able to look at the positive side of things. We sometimes get lost in our misery, but really there are so many things we need to be grateful for. Thanks for the reminder! Have a fantastic weekend!

Alexia said...

I can't say why this is happening, but I can say that God can and WILL provide abundantly more that you are even asking from HIM.

I'll pray in unity with you.

God Bless,
Alexia

secondofwett said...

Aren't van problems just the worst....I've been without the condenser working on mine since this time last year because we didn't have the funds to fix it.....you can put up with it but even though you don't have air conditioning you still have warm air blowing on you, with the dial on the cold zone! Not pleasant on a hot summer day!

Cheryl said...

I have had seasons like that...hang in there and keep giving it over to God. I will be praying that you are able to feel peace in your situations.

mholgate said...

I will be praying for you! You are right...God is in control! We have five children and only had one vehicle for the longest time. My husband would go to work and I would be stuck at home. Then we bought a used car for him and it quit on us. The quote was over $700 but our room-mate that we've been letting live with us for free knows a thing or two about cars and fixed it for under $100.

I know how hard it is to wait when you want concrete answers. Hang in there and keep trusting Him. He will provide!

Thanks for the coffee,
Melissa